What is aging in place?
“AGING IN PLACE is the ability to live in one’s own home and community safely, independently, and comfortably, regardless of age, income, or ability level.” ~U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
The Perfect Surrounding
Aging in place doesn’t necessarily mean staying in the current home. It could mean moving to a home that will function for the owner now and as they grow older. It may mean moving to a single story home in the same town or near grown children. About 2/3 of retired people intend to age in their own homes. A new trend in housing is the multi-generational floor plan designed for an aging parent to live with family but have their own space.
Should you buy or rent?
There are many great options in the North Texas area for aging in place. Begin by determining if you want to own the home or rent the home. Choose a selection below to see your options.
Questions To Ask….
- Does the home have any elements of risk such as dim lighting, structural issues, tripping hazards?
- Can the home accommodate a walker or wheelchair?
- Is the neighborhood unsafe or declining?
- Are there family and friends close by?
- Is there accessible shopping areas?
- Can they access groceries, banking, church, medical services easily or without driving?
- Can the owner handle the maintenance and upkeep on the home?
- Are services available to assist with any of the concerns mentioned above?